Sexual Health Services: Where to Find Free Contraception & Advice
Just like our physical and mental health, sexual health is something we need to take care of. Looking after your sexual health isn’t something to be embarrassed about and sexual health services clinics aren’t just for the young or unorganised – these services are provided by the NHS to provide everyone with free sexual health care and advice.
Sexual health services encompass a wide range of topics and needs, such as:
– Sexual orientation (heterosexual or LGBTQIA+ etc.) and gender identity (cisgender, transgender, gender non-conforming, gender fluid, etc.)
– Knowledge of one’s anatomy, fertility, and reproductive health
– Consenting adult relationships with no coercion or violence
– Safe sexual experiences and knowledge of the risks of sexual activity
– Access to good healthcare and educational resources about self-care concerning one’s sexual health, including free access to contraception and necessary tests.
If you live in the Birmingham and Solihull area and are looking for sexual health services, read on as we share why good sexual health is so important and where to find access to free contraception, tests, care and advice.
Why do I need to take care of my sexual health?
Many people with sexually transmitted infections (STIs) don’t experience symptoms, so it’s always worth getting tested if you’re sexually active. You don’t need to feel embarrassed and it doesn’t matter whether you’ve had one partner or multiple – the professionals at sexual health clinics will help you with testing and any other health care you need with complete confidentiality.
STIs can be passed from person to person through vaginal, anal, and oral sex. If left untreated, certain STIs can seriously affect your physical health and even your ability to have children.
You should get tested if you experience any of the following symptoms:
In women and men:
– Pain when you urinate
– Itching, tingling, or even burning around your genitals
– Black powder or very small white dots in your underwear (these could be eggs or droppings and may indicate that you have pubic lice)
– Sores, blisters, lumps, or spots around your genitals or anus
– Yellow or green vaginal discharge or discharge that smells
– Lower abdominal pain
– Noticeable bleeding between your periods
– Bleeding or pain during or after sex
– Irritation when you pass urine
– White or yellow discharge from the penis
These symptoms don’t always mean you’ll have an STI, but it is worth getting checked so you can establish what’s going on and get any necessary treatment.
Don’t forget that being proactive about your sexual health is also important – use contraception to protect yourself from infections, and don’t forget that there are people who want to help you and give you advice if you feel a relationship you are in isn’t healthy. Sexual health services in Birmingham like Umbrella Health—and elsewhere around the UK (you can find more information from the NHS around sexual health, as well as your local clinic here)—are there to help you no matter your concern.
Sexual Health Services Birmingham: Umbrella Health
The professionals at Umbrella Health understand the value of taking care of your sexual health, and how important it is to have access to the right information. They also know it can be daunting to discuss your sexual history with them, so they work to create a safe and non-judgmental atmosphere in their clinics.
Umbrella Health offers a wide range of services, from STI self-sampling kits and HIV testing to contraceptive services and natural family planning. They are an NHS provider, so if you are entitled to NHS services, they won’t charge you. They provide an accessible, confidential service for people of all ages, orientations, and genders. If you have any questions or want more information, you can call Umbrella Health on 0121 237 5700 Monday – Saturday, or visit their website to view their full list of services.
Where can I get the morning-after pill in Birmingham?
Whether you need the morning-after pill, free condoms, or contraception advice, we at Kings Pharmacy are here to help you. We also offer advance supply of the morning after pill to ensure that you don’t get caught out on your travels; you can find out more here.
We’ll ensure you get the contraception you need, judgement-free.
You can find out more about the services we offer below.
Contact or visit us for discreet, confidential advice today!
Want the latest news and healthcare advice from our pharmacy?